Wednesday, July 11, 2007
To recycle the egg carton, we can even hatch a chick for our kids with it. Here is how it goes:
One egg carton up, 2 cotton balls, orange scrap paper, glue, yellow paint, a plastic bag, 2 wiggly eyes
1. The night before making the craft, put a bit of yellow paint a plastic bag. Add as many cotton balls as you'll be using (if you're making more than one chick) and smush gently until they soak up the yellow. (Not to much paint otherwise the cotton will look crusty)
2. Keep them in an empty container.
3. Cut the egg carton cup out of the egg carton. Trim small rectangles out around the edge so it looks like a cracked egg shell
4. Stick 2 cotton balls (on top of each other) into your egg shell.
5. Glue the eyes and beak (make a triangle from your paper) to the chick.
6. Best glue it on top as if the chick was facing up to the sky (like a hungry chick). This had the added benefit of keeping the wiggly eyes from sliding off while they dried.